Sunday, September 9, 2012

Lets talk tech theatre


     Alright so my last post I talked a lot about art, paintings, and all that wonderful stuff. But there is a lot more to me as an artist, then paintings and art that can be hung on a wall. My passion is for theatre, mainly technical theatre. Ive dabbled in acting and it is ok the actors are a little to dramatic for my taste, go figure. But what I love more then anything is hearing the audience gasp at the set or an awesome effect that happened in front of them. Live Theatre is an wonderful thing to be a part of, it is raw and fresh and if you mess up, there are no "Cut, take two" its all or nothing, the adrenaline behind it is unfathomable. 
    
The amazing things that can be accomplished from a good technical crew, can give the audience an experience much more then that of the movies, because it is real and live and happening right in from of them. That is something that want to be a part of as a professional technician. 

I have had a small taste of the wonder that comes from a well done effect in a production. Two years ago i designed to set for The Glass Slipper a Cinderella story, and in my deign i wanted t to feel magical and as the set changed for the cottage to the palace i had everything kind of transform from one to the other. I was a simple thing in itself but the children loves it, my set changed go an applause. That was the moment I was sold on tech theatre and set designing. 

One example of what inspires me in the field is a scene for Lord of the rings the musical (yes I'm a giant nerd) this production wasn't the best production but ascetically was stunning. The costume and set designer Rob Howell brought the magical world of middle earth to the stage. 

Just because I love pictures here are some from the London production of Lord of the Rings all of which can be found on their website. 






As i said visually stunning, however they attempted to fit all 3 books one play so the story was lacking slightly. But thats how it goes isn't it you can't have booth amazing special effects and a good story, its one or the other look at Aviator hahaha I'm sorry that is just my opinion. Here is a video of the scene where Gollum falls in to Mount Mordor, this is an amazing effect, and one day I hope I can say i created something like this.



I personally find that amazing and I hope you do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment